Monday, May 18, 2015

The Baking PA

Welcome to The Baking PA!

Since high school I have worked for the same company - a local bakery with 3 locations.  This started as a cashier job that I applied for the summer before my senior year of high school because I had a friend who worked there.  While at this company I met my wife, got married, bought a house, and had a child.  It ended this past Friday when I left my position as operations manager after being with the company for 13 years.  This is an amazing company filled with wonderful people and even though I knew it would be sad, leaving was more difficult than I had imagined.

Being unemployed was, however, in the plan.  On June 1st I will be starting a physician assistant program that I have spent the past 3 years gathering experience for, taking classes for, and applying for.  The journey so far has been a little crazy at times - planning my full-time work schedule around prerequisite classes, at times missing classes when covering shifts for my employees, and commuting to class from the hospital following the birth of my son and throughout the 4 surgeries he needed during his first year after birth.

The application process in itself warrants a series of posts (forthcoming!), but receiving the phone call that I was accepted was one of the most surreal and amazing experiences of my life.  That all happened this past fall, and with the completion of my last prerequisite at Christmas, I've had the spring to dedicate myself to my job, not be in school for the first time in 2.5 years, and prepare for the large changes ahead.

Here I am today - I've worked my last day at my job and I have two weeks of vacation before starting school full-time.  The last of my paperwork is submitted to my school, my textbooks are ordered, and I have a list of house projects to complete before I'm up to my armpits in cadaver dissection this summer.

My wife Anna, who keeps her own blog over at The Heart's Overflow, encouraged me to start a blog to share my experience to being a PA.  Since I love baking (and my endless source of amazing baked goods has now... ended) I thought this blog would also be a good place to share the baking projects that I'll be attempting in all my free time.  Hopefully someone will find it interesting, educational, or at least slightly helpful.

Thanks for reading!



Alex

4 comments: